Friday, December 7, 2007

The Lovely Bones By Alice Sebold.

page 135 second to last paragraph. That night, as he had more and more often, my father stayed up by himself in the study. He could not believe the world falling down around him--how unexpected it all was after the initial blast of my death. " I feel like I'm standing in the wake of a volcano eruption," he wrote in his notebook. "Abigail thinks Len Fenerman is right about Harvey."

I understand this quote to mean that the father is struggling for his loss, and everything is seeming to blow up around him. The father thinks that his next door neighbour is the killer, and nobody understands it. His daughter Lindsey who is his second daughter is acting out, and cannot deal with her sister being dead. His son doesn't understand the situation, and his wife is a wreck and he feels that he doesn't know who she is anymore.

I can relate to this quote because my mother went through the same thing last year when her brother died. He died on Christmas eve, making it much harder for my mother to get over. It was such a sudden death that no one expected it. I think that was one of the worst Christmases ever. I think that every Christmas will be a sad one for her, because of the memory of her brother's death.

I think the father will eventually get over it, and move on but always have those thoughts of his daughter, just like my mother's gotten over it, but will still have those thoughts of my uncle.

No comments: